CHATHAM-KENT UPGRADES FIVE HISTORIC ROAD STRUCTURES

The Municipality of Chatham-Kent in Southwest Ontario has a long history in agriculture and trade. The Chatham dockyards (est.1790) supplied food stocks and implements to the British Navy’s Lake Erie fleet and Tecumseh’s large tribal confederacy throughout the War of 1812. It was here on Oct 5, 1813 at the Battle of the Thames, that Tecumseh was killed while waiting for reinforcements to come by road from distant Fort Burlington. The road was poor, reinforcements didn’t come and our history took a turn.

E.S.E Sept. | Oct. 2012  Issue

SHARE

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn